The Harrison Ruritan Club is part of a national community service organization dedicated to making our communities a better place to live and work.
The Harrison Club was chartered in 1952.
The club's original building was constructed from 1968-1973, and completed mostly by volunteer labor. The rear of the building was added ca 1989, and converted to the Jim McKinney Hall in 2010. This also was completed mostly by volunteer labor, and is the site of our Bluegrass Jamboree, held on the 3rd Saturday monthly.
One of the first major projects was to solicit subscribers for the Eastside Utility District. This project enabled Harrison residents to have clean and pure water at a very reasonable cost.
In 1956 the Club completed the grading and lighting of a softball field on Harrison Elementary School grounds, and later, bleachers were built by the club. In 1971 a baseball and softball program for boys and girls was organized. The club invested over $30,000 in the program over a five year period. The program was so successful that it was turned over to a separate organization, The Harrison Recreation League. They continue to operate the program successfully today.
A few years ago, the Harrison Ruritan Club contributed $15,000 toward the purchase of an ambulance for the Hwy 58 Fire Department. Hamilton County now operates the ambulance service, and the Fire Department has grown to four Stations, and is still operated by volunteers.
In 2007, the Harrison Ruritan Club raised $10,000 to purchase a Thermal Imaging Camera for the Hwy 58 Volunteer Fire Department in memory of Shane Daughette. Visit Hwy 58 Volunteer Fire Department, Station 2 site.
Our Club donates Rudy Bears to the VFD to give to children they encounter in traumatic situations.
The Harrison Club has made financial contributions to Harrison Elementary, Brown Middle, and Central High School. We have given schlorships to seniors, sponsored delegates to Boy's and Girl's State and Freedoms Foundation Leadershp Training.
In 2005, the Ruritan National Habitat for Humanity project, built a house in Chattanooga. Over $50,000 was raised, the Cherokee District contributed over $21,000, plus many hours of volunteer labor were contributed for this project.
The Harrison Club has contributed food baskets and clothing to the needy, provided closed-captioned TV for the deaf, helped pay medical expenses, and made numerous donations to families who have lost their homes to fire.
In 2003-2005 the Harrison Club sponsored the Hwy58 Christmas Parade.
From 2004 - 2014, our club members were part of the all-volunteer team that operated the Foothills Country Fair. This team consists of 9 Ruritan Clubs from Bradley and Hamilton Counties. Proceeds from the Fair were used by the Clubs to fund their community service projects.
Submitted by KAY PEARSON, Past National Director
FOR MORE INFORMATION ABOUT THE RURITAN CLUB, VISIT RURITAN NATIONAL